Thursday, January 27, 2011

Muscles

I've recently mentioned the fact I've been taking a pilates class this quarter at my college Rec Center. I'm not super new to pilates as I've done videos and read some things online about it, but this is my first time taking a class. What's nice about the class is that the instructor breaks down the exercises a lot more and can tell you if you're doing something wrong. And, let me tell you, in this setting you end up working a lot more different muscles a lot more. We've done exercises using muscles I didn't realize I actually had, and using muscles in ways I haven't thought of before. It's interesting, and also makes those muscles sore since I'm not exactly used to using them.

This made me wonder about things that I use and have access to on a daily basis but I don't really notice. I don't just mean things like clean water running freely from a sink or the easiness of acquiring food, although those are definitely things that fall under this. Strangely enough, I feel like I take for granted and fail to notice things like facebook, youtube, my smartphone, xbox, laptop, etc way more than I take for granted things like food and clean water. I forget that not everyone is connected into the internet nearly 24 hours a day, and that a large proportion of people don't have computers or have never played a video game. But for me, these things are huge parts of my daily life. I go crazy when the internet is down (although thankfully I can say that after my initial freak out and my reflex fix of unplugging and plugging the router I do remember I have things like homework to do, books to read, and things to crochet). I check my e-mail on my blackberry constantly. I always have a google chrome tab open to facebook and youtube.

Even more significant than these things are the people I fail to notice and really appreciate. It's sort of like when you pull a back muscle or you do some weird exercise that makes a muscle in your back sore, and then you really realize how much you actually use those muscles because it hurts whenever you try to move. When these people aren't available I realize how much I depend on them in various ways. Like my mom (Hi mom! I know you read this), my Dad, my brother, several of my friends (both old from high school and new from college)...

I know, I turned a post about pilates into a touch-y feel-y blog about not taking people for granted.

But it's true.

WTWA: At this moment in time I'm technically "done" with everything I absolutely have to have done by tomorrow. Sure, I have assignments I should get done tonight and reading I should work on, but if I stopped right now I would be completely fine. I haven't finished my homework before midnight on a school night in AGES. So now I'm going to bug my roommate until she's done with enough of her homework so we can watch Buffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment